Invisalign is a teeth straightening system that uses a series of clear plastic aligners to move teeth. It is referred to as the clear alternative to braces because it achieves similar results in a less noticeable way. There are both orthodontic and cosmetic benefits to Invisalign. Proper alignment of the teeth improves the function and health of your teeth as well as their appearance. After Invisalign treatment, you’ll have a healthier, more beautiful smile.
What is Invisalign? Here’s an overview of the treatment to help you determine if Invisalign is right for you.
How it Works
Invisalign consists of a series of clear plastic aligners that fit over the teeth. The aligners are made to fit snugly to the surface of the teeth so that they are virtually invisible. As you wear them, they gradually shift your teeth into the desired position with tiny pressure points on the teeth. Typically you wear each aligner for about one to two weeks, then switch to the next aligner in the designated order until your treatment is complete and your smile is transformed.
Invisalign has come a long way in its 20+ years on the market. There are competitors now. The most important thing is that you trust your doctor and that your doctor knows how to use the product they are giving you. Like an amazing car, the performance depends solely on the skill of the driver. And, just like with braces, results will vary from one office to another and should never be thought of as a commodity.
In an office where the orthodontist has had extra training in airway maximization, treatment with aligners can often provide the added benefit of relieving or resolving breathing issues like snoring, allergies, and even Obstructive Sleep Apnea in some lucky few.
What Orthodontic Conditions Can Invisalign Correct?
Invisalign can correct most common orthodontic conditions, such as:
- Narrow arches
A quick evaluation by an orthodontist and a series of questions can help determine whether or not you are an ideal candidate for Invisalign. A skilled provider will feel comfortable treating any case with Invisailgn no matter how difficult it appears, if the patient is disciplined enough to get the required amount of daily wear.
The Invisalign Process Step by Step
The process of Invisalign treatment can be completed in 5 easy steps:
- Consultation and Evaluation. The first step is a consultation to discuss Invisalign treatment and an evaluation to determine whether or not you are an ideal candidate. If your orthodontic needs can be met with Invisalign, and if you and your orthodontist believe this is the best treatment option for you, you can proceed to the next step in the process.
- iTero Scan and Images. To begin Invisalign treatment, digital impressions and images must be made of your teeth and mouth. These images are used to plan your treatment using advanced computer software. On the computer screen, you will be able to see a 3D image of your teeth in their current position and watch a simulation of how they will move and shift to reach the desired position.
- Designing a Treatment Plan. The computer software uses predictability charts and algorithms to suggest teeth movement into better alignment. This step is just the first. The next steps are the difference makers. Your orthodontist will review the generated treatment plan and make any necessary adjustments needed for better stability, predictability, esthetics and sometimes future restorative work. Once the orthodontist is satisfied, the case is sent back for tray manufacturing. The plan is sent to the lab where a set of aligners is created to achieve the desired result.
- Implementing Treatment. Once your aligners are created and sent to your orthodontic office, you will go in for delivery. You’ll wear your first set of aligners home and often take the rest of your aligners with you. Instructions on wear and care will be given during your delivery appointment and must be adhered to.
- Follow up appointments. Depending on your treatment needs, and the technology an office is utilizing, you may be asked to return for a progress check every couple of months. Some offices, like Demko Orthodontics, utilize technology like Dental Monitoring or Grin to minimize your trips to the office and to maximize the level of close monitoring to ensure your success.
- Retention. As with all orthodontic treatment, once your teeth are in the desired position, retainers should be utilized to protect your investment of time and money and to prevent your teeth from shifting back..
Demko Orthodontics is a Certified Invisalign Provider
If you’re interested in Invisalign, Demko Orthodontics has been providing Invisalign treatment since 1999. We are a certified Invisalign provider, meaning we have completed the necessary training to effectively administer Invisalign treatment. For patients who want to straighten their teeth in a discreet way, Invisalign is worth looking into. We are happy to show you a simulation of how your smile can look. Call for your complimentary scan today! We know you will love the way your teeth can look and how our office cares for you.
Contact us at any of our convenient locations to schedule a consultation.