Are you considering Invisalign for yourself or your child? Invisalign is an alternative to braces for orthodontic treatment. Many patients choose this option for a variety of reasons, namely because it is clear and less visible than braces and eating and home care is much simpler.
Invisalign is a relatively new treatment in the grand scheme of orthodontics, which is why many people have questions about it, such as:
- How does Invisalign work?
- How long does it take to straighten teeth?
- Will Invisalign work for me?
- Is it more expensive and does it take longer?
These questions and more will be answered so that you’ll be able to make an informed decision about whether or not this treatment option is right for you.
Invisalign treatment involves a series of clear plastic aligners that fit over the teeth. These aligners will gently and gradually shift the teeth into proper alignment. You’ll wear each aligner for about 1-2 weeks, then switch to the next one in order. Once you have moved through the entire set of aligners, you’ll have a transformed smile.
Length of Treatment
For most patients Invisalign will take anywhere from 3 to 18 months to straighten the teeth, DEPENDING ON THE SEVERITY OF YOUR DENTAL PROBLEM & DESIRED END RESULT. The length of treatment time depends mostly on the extent of the orthodontic corrections you need. The further your teeth need to be shifted to achieve proper alignment, the longer your treatment will take.
Another important note is that once the teeth are in their desired position, it is necessary to wear retainers to keep the teeth from RELAPSING. Retainers should be worn all the time for a specified number of months determined by your orthodontist and then just at night for the rest of your life. It is a common statement in the orthodontic field to hear “Retainers for Life.”.
Invisalign is Not for Everyone
Not every patient is an ideal candidate for Invisalign. Invisalign can treat most orthodontic issues from crowded teeth to an overbite. However, there are some orthodontic issues that can only be corrected with traditional braces and other treatment options. Your orthodontist can perform an evaluation to determine whether or not Invisalign will work for you. Most patients will have success with Invisalign treatment.
The Invisalign Process
Here’s how the process of Invisalign treatment works from start to finish:
- Evaluation. The first step is an evaluation to determine whether or not you are an ideal candidate for Invisalign.
- Smile scan. Your teeth will be digitally scanned and the images entered into the Invisalign computer software.
- Treatment plan. The computer will create your treatment plan to shift your teeth into proper alignment.
- Create aligners. The entire series of aligners you will need for your treatment are created in a lab and sent to your orthodontist.
- Wear aligners. You will need to wear your aligners according to your orthodontist’s instructions, usually for 1-2 weeks for each aligner.
- Monitor progress. Your orthodontist will see you to monitor your progress every 8-10 weeks.
- Wear retainers. Once your treatment is complete, you will need to wear retainers to keep your teeth in their new places.
Benefits of Invisalign
People are choosing Invisalign for the many benefits:
- Invisible. The top benefit of Invisalign is that the clear aligners are virtually invisible. Most people will not even notice that you are wearing them.
- Comfortable. The aligners are made of smooth, flexible plastic that fits snugly to your teeth, causing little to no discomfort or irritation in your mouth.
- Convenient. The aligners are removable, so you can eat whatever you want without having to worry about damaging them. You can also remove them to brush and floss your teeth.
Demko Orthodontics is a Certified Invisalign Provider
Orthodontists and dentists that offer Invisalign must complete training and certification in Invisalign treatment. Demko Orthodontics has achieved this certification so that we can offer this state-of-the-art treatment option to our patients. Our ultimate goal is for our patients to have healthy, beautiful smiles through whatever method is best.
Contact us at any of our 3 convenient locations to schedule a consultation:
St. Charles: 636-946-6503