If you’ve thought about orthodontic treatment but don’t want the look of traditional braces, you may be interested in clear braces. Unlike traditional braces, these have clear brackets that allow your smile to shine.
What Makes Clear Brackets Special
Ceramic braces can use clear brackets. These brackets work just like the metal brackets on traditional braces. Clear brackets make braces more attractive to teens and adults reluctant to start orthodontic treatment.
How Ceramic and Traditional Braces Work
Ceramic braces work exactly like traditional braces. They gradually move the teeth into the optimal position using constant pressure.
The orthodontist cements clear brackets onto the front-facing tooth surfaces. An archwire runs through the brackets, secured with small elastic bands. Metal bands around the molars hold the archwire in place.
The orthodontist periodically adjusts the archwire to straighten the teeth. The process takes between one and three years, depending on the patient’s age and how much correction is needed.
Often orthodontists use attachments that exert more pressure on the teeth, pulling them into the correct position. These include power and energy chains as well as elastics.
After treatment with braces, patients must wear retainers for an extended period. Retainers preserve the position of the teeth.
Why Do People Need Braces?
Some people get braces for purely aesthetic reasons, while others have oral health concerns. In either case, braces can help solve your problem.
Braces can treat all of the following conditions:
- Misaligned Teeth: Orthodontists can easily fix misaligned, gapped, and crooked teeth with braces.
- Crossbite (Underbite): A crossbite happens when the lower teeth are in front of the upper teeth. This problem can cause tooth decay, mouth and jaw pain, and headaches.
- Overbite: When the upper teeth are so misaligned that they come down over the lower teeth when a patient bites, the patient has an overbite. Overbites cause many of the same problems as crossbites.
- Open Bite: An open bite means the teeth do not meet adequately when the mouth closes. This problem often happens when the teeth angle outward. An open bite makes it difficult to chew and can cause jaw pain. It can also cause speech problems and irregular tooth wear.
Improved Hygiene After Braces
Crooked and crossed teeth are much harder to keep clean than straight teeth. Plaque and bacteria gather in the spaces between where brushing and flossing can’t easily reach. Straightening the teeth allows the patient to practice better hygiene at home, improving their oral health.
Home Care for Braces
Patients must be sure to keep their teeth clean while they have braces. Patients must carefully get behind the wires and clean around the brackets.
Brushing and flossing become crucial when braces are involved. Patients often need floss threaders and interproximal brushes to do the job correctly.
Pros and Cons of Ceramic Braces
While clear brackets and ceramic braces have many advantages over traditional treatments, you should research them before committing. Before getting ceramic braces, here are some pros and cons you may want to consider.
- Thanks to clear brackets, ceramic braces are less visible than metal braces. Many people feel self-conscious about wearing braces, which can be an essential incentive to get clear braces.
- Clear brackets also come in various bright colors, perfect for patients who want to express themselves through braces. They can also be tooth-colored.
- Ceramic braces work faster than systems that use clear plastic aligners.
- Clear brackets are slightly larger than metal brackets, making it a little harder to keep the teeth clean. Poor hygiene while wearing braces can lead to tooth decay.
- Ceramic braces may cost more than traditional braces.
- Clear aligners are more fragile than metal aligners and may need more repairs.
Are You a Good Candidate for Ceramic Braces?
Ceramic braces are better for patients who have all of their adult teeth. They work well for teens and adults who have stopped growing.
They are also ideal for older patients because they can go to work and school without worrying that their braces will be distracting.
Clear Brackets Will Brighten Your Smile
Consider ceramic braces with clear brackets if you want braces but hesitate because you don’t want noticeable metal brackets. When you straighten your teeth, you’ll feel better about your appearance and gain a new sense of confidence.
Contact Us for a Smile Assessment Today
Set up an appointment with Demko Orthodontics today and take our smile assessment. We will help you with options for straightening your teeth and achieving a perfect smile.